Thursday, May 22, 2008

Sing, sing a song...

My last few posts have been a little on the dark side, so I am going to try and write about something a little lighter in tone.


I have a terrible habit.  I almost hate to admit it here in public.  My wife is driven to distraction by what I do, but I can’t seem to help myself.


Grab your children and cover their eyes…er, ears…


I sing the wrong lyrics…on purpose…to songs on the radio.


And not just the wrong lyrics, but the wrong lyrics with a dirty undertone.  Kind of a perverted Weird Al channel if you will.


There have been a lot of misinterpretations of song lyrics over the years.  Louie Louie by The Kingsmen is probably the most famous example.  The Monkeys (Sweet Young Thing), CCR (Lookin Out My Back Door), and Pearl Jam (Glorified G), all come to mind.  If anyone wants to discuss what I am hearing when I listen to these song, feel free to ask.


But my problem is not one of misunderstanding.  I go out of my way to change the lyrics even if it is quite obvious what the actual words are.  Here, let me unlock this dark and cobwebby place in my head and show you.


Melissa Etheridge has a great song out called “It Only Hurts when I Breath”.  I love this song, I think it is one of her best.  But when I hear it I can’t help but sing:


It’s alright, it’s alright…it only hurts when I pee…


Seems kind of obvious to me.  But really pisses the wife off.  There are some songs that she can’t listen to anymore because she now hears my rewritten version instead of the original.  Here’s another example.


The Cranberries Song “Linger”.  While the skinny little Cranberry tart is singing “do you have to let it linger”, I am belting out, “do you have to pull my finger”.  It can change the entire mood of the song.


Every song is open to reinterpretation by me, I pull no punches and allow no one to slip under my musical sights.  Probably the only music that I can’t do anything with is country, it already makes fun of itself so I’ve got nothing.  We were watching a couple of minutes of the CMA’s the other night and Trace Atkins sang a song.  “You were looking out the window, of our SUV…”, how Americana can you get…(retch, gag, blow nose)


Sorry, I hate to get some of my lunch caught in a nostril.


Anyway, any song that tells you how many times to breath in a minute and when to swallow and blink your eyes is already to far gone to be messed with.

(Disclaimer – I love bands like Big & Rich, Lyle Lovette and Dwight Yoakam…go figure)


But anyway…even the Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Alice In Chains, rock Gods that they may be, are not beyond the scope of my dementia.  I ought to write all this stuff down someday.  I know Weird Al has already made a killing off of it, but I just can’t help myself.  I have even found myself changing the lyrics to his rewritten lyrics.  


I have been quite tame here.  I am sure that most of the stuff I blurt out in the car would never make it past the censers.  Of course there is satellite radio now.  They even let Howard Stern talk without a loop button.  Hmmmm….


-P




7 comments:

RiverPoet said...

Oh yes, you have ruined many songs for me, dearest!

But then again, so have the kids. Remember the Pearl Jam song, "Wild-Eyed, Crazy Mary"? And our dear daughter thought Mr. Vedder sang,

"Buttered hams flew from her side" when it was "But her hands flew from her side."

Oy!

Love you anyway, D

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Thanks for directing me this, D! Great post, Highlander, and very funny.

I actually posted something similar, but more from your wife's POV. Check it out, and pay particular attention to the comments. There are a few gems you may pick up. Esp. the CCR one. LOL

http://notafraidtouseit.blogspot.
com/2008/02/thanks-for-ruining-
perfectly-good-song.html

Sandy said...

This cracks me up! I have been known to murder a few myself! WHAMs Preacher Teacher became Creature Feature... and (sorry, I can't remember the guy who sings the County Fair Auction thing) ruby red lips, blonde hair, etc. became "crooked lips"...

Daryl said...

Oh this is not unique to you .. no not at all .. many lifetimes ago when I was still in college I would drive to class with a gal pal and we always listened to the radio .. here in NYC it was WABC AM playing the hits .. we had our own words to The Four Seasons.. 'you're too good to be true, cant take my hands off of you, you'd be like heaven to touch I want to touch you so much ..'

:-Daryl

Cath said...

Over by direction and request of Momma! And so glad I did. But as Daryl said, you are not unique! My hubby does it too and ruins many a perfectly good song!
But is IS funny. Great post. Cheered me up no end. And now I can't get the "new" words to "Too good to be true" via Daryl outta my head! Dang it!

highlander1463 said...

Momma - Sorry, I guess I passed it on to the kids.

NATUI - You are right about your post and the comments. I'm glad to see that I am not the only one ruining music for others.

Sandy - Thanks for reading. I enjoy speading a laugh when I can.

Daryl - I used to sing songs alone with the radio to my parents in the car. Dean Martin's "Everybody Loves Somebody" would sometimes come out as "Everybody Rubs Somebody". My mother had No sense of humor back then...lol

Crazycath - I guess I owe momma a night out. Blogging like this has let me know that I am not alone in my habits. I have friends in madness...lol

-P

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Over the weekend, You've Got (Personality) came on my mp3 player. I thought of this post because whenever I sing a long to that song I always changes the words to "And plus you've got a great big car" or "brand new car" instead of "heart". It just seems more appropriate. Used to piss the hell out of my friends. LOL